Google+ Badge

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

WYNDANO'S CLOAK by A.R. Silverberry

Here’s a wonderfully intriguing book trailer! Little bit of mystery and fantasy! Love.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Interview with A. R. Silverberry
 
 
Q. Tell us a little bit about your book.
 
Jen has settled into a peaceful life when a terrifying event awakens old fears—of being homeless and alone, of a danger horrible enough to destroy her family and shatter her world forever.


She is certain that Naryfel, a shadowy figure from her past, has returned and is concentrating the full force of her hate on Jen's family. But how will she strike? A knife in the dark? An attack from her legions? Or with the dark arts and twisted creatures she commands with sinister cunning.
 
Wyndano's Cloak may be Jen's only hope. If she can only trust that she has what it takes to use it . . .
 


Q. What excites you most about your book’s topic/genre? Why did you choose it?
 
I didn't choose it, it chose me! I really can't write, well anyway, unless something grabs me and won't let me go until it's done. When I can't stop thinking about the characters, I know I'm in for it. That said, the theme of the book is important to me. In my day job, working as a psychologist, I've listened to the fears and longings of young people. The environment and economy are just a few of the unprecedented challenges facing children today. I hope that Wyndano's Cloak, in some small way, helps young people feel capable of facing our complex and sometimes frightening world.
 
Q. Did you have any favorite experiences when writing your book?
 
I wrote the book while commuting on CalTrain. That gave me close to three hours a day on work days to write. Plus, I was able to draw on some of what I saw out the window for settings. Once, I saw a squirrel scampering all over a blackberry bush. I knew that had to go in the book. It took me a year to figure out where, but when I did, it worked nicely.
 
Q. How did you come up with your title?
 
With sweat and tears. I really wasn't sure what to call it, but Wyndano's Cloak is a powerful metaphor in the book, so it made sense.
 
Q. Tell me about your writing process. Do you have a routine?
 
I write best if I can work a consistent amount of time, five to six days a week. I don't care how many words I write. That doesn't work for me. But if I can put in my time, I'm a happy camper. That doesn't mean that I don't write fast. In fact, if I'm stuck, I challenge myself to write as fast as I can, so I can bypass my inner critic. Going back to metaphor, I write best if I have an overarching metaphor or theme to hang onto. After that, I'll rough out my characters and the plot, and then just start writing. If I plan too much beforehand, my creativity dries up. In the case of Wyndano's Cloak, I had no idea what the theme was. I simply saw an image of what the heroine needed to do at the climax of the novel. Fortunately, the whole plot and all the characters unfolded pretty quickly from there.
 
Q. What projects are you currently working on?
 
I'm tying up the third draft of a new novel, and hope to send it out to my editors by the end of February. It's part survival tale, part coming of age story, part spiritual journey. It's written for adults, but I think that children as young as ten could read and enjoy it.
 
Q. Can you give some tips for other Indie Authors regarding the writing and self-publishing process?
 
Learn as much about the craft as you can. Write a lot. Read a lot. Persist. As far as self-publishing, network with good, supportive folks. There are lots of them out there, and we're stronger if we work together. Through those connections, I've learned so much about how to market in the midst of this publishing revolution. And I've made some great friends, too!
 
Q. If you could go back and change anything in your book process or the self-publishing process would you? What would it be?
 
You bet I would. Wyndano's Cloak was published in 2010 as a hardback. At the time, I didn't appreciate ebooks and where they were going. As a result, I utilized traditional marketing approaches, such as book tours, book expos, and the like. I don't regret doing those things, because the book won a number of important awards, was purchased by some libraries, and I got to meet lots of wonderful readers in person, especially children. (If you're interested in how, please see my blog series.) (Link below.) But I missed getting in on the ebook phenomenon early. When I finally did publish it as an ebook, I was playing catch up, and there was a whole new learning curve.
 
Q. How can your readers get in touch with you?
 
 
Q. Where can they get your book?

People who want the hardback should write me directly for a personalized, signed copy. My email is on my website. (Link above.) 
 
The ebook edition may be purchased at:
 

Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/wyndanos-cloak-a-r-silverberry/1100041623?ean=2940013170162&itm=1&usri=wyndano+s+cloak

And itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/wyndanos-cloak/id465109080?mt=11

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the fabulous interview, Nichelle. Your trailer is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It was a pleasure having you! :)

      Delete
  2. Very interesting interview!
    I tried to follow your blog, Nichelle, but it doesn't seem to have worked.
    Hemmie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think it worked. I got an email saying I had you as a follower. :) Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Great! Now I won't miss a post :-)

      Delete
    3. Hello Nichelle, I'd like to be considered for an author interview one day, please.
      I couldn't find your email so I'm messaging you here - sorry!
      I'll check we're Twitter friends then I can DM my email.

      Thank you, Hemmie :-)

      Delete