Google+ Badge

Monday, February 25, 2013

FINDING ESTA by Shah Wharton


Calling Urban Fantasy fans!! Here's something you'll enjoy. Check out the trailer! I love the mystery surrounding the fantasy/paranormal element!



Finding Esta - Book Trailer


 

Interview with Shah Wharton


Q. Tell us a little bit about your book.

Finding Esta is the first book of The Supes Series. Luna yearns for love and acceptance, and for an end to her own chronic isolation. Unable to touch, she settles for the lover’s caress of a stranger who visits her dreams, and her only friends in the world are Shadows – spirits who reside within in her fragile mind, seeking refuge from the Shadow Lands. Always eager to earn parental respect, she attempts to solve a twenty-year-old child abduction case by travelling to Esta’s family home in Cornwall, situated on an abandoned cul-de-sac. Searching for clues to Esta’s tragic fate she finds much more than she bargained for.

More alone than ever and desperate for answers, Luna struggles to retain a sense of identity, and the light grip on reality she’s been used to. Will she find Esta, and if so, will Luna live to tell Esta’s story?

It all began three years ago with a short story called, The House on the Hill, about a fledgling journalist who investigates the haunting of a large, spooky house, but discovers something quite different to ghosts behind the crumbling walls. I fell in love with the main character, Luna, and before I knew it, I’d developed a story spanning three books.

Luna has not had a great life when we first meet her. She is cursed with psychic touch, sun sensitivity and extreme empathy – all of which exclude her from the world around her. She also hosts Shadows within her battered mind, and these are the only companions she’s ever had. Her parents are plain cruel and even at 23 years old, she reverts to a child in their presence.

No one, not even Luna with her over-intimate knowledge of the Shadow Lands, and the hearts and minds of humanity, could be prepared for what she finds in Cornwall. Luna begins the arduous journey of self-discovery, while the world she knew implodes.

I chose to set the action in Cornwall because I’m a quarter Cornish and love St Ives. I wanted to capture its magical quality, to set the scene for Luna’s adventure. I had to research a few things, like names of streets, and about the train Luna takes to reach Esta’s house, where she finds much more than she expects. But the way it looked, the way Cornwall felt, is written from childhood memories.


Q. What excites you most about your book’s topic/genre? Why did you choose it?

I’ve always loved the supernatural and paranormal genres. I adore urban fantasy in particular because it brings fantasy into our back yard / or city / or neighbourhood. It adds a layer of reality to fantasy. I love that blend.


Q. Did you have any favourite experiences when writing your book?

There are parts that made me laugh and others where I cried, because they touched something within me, personally. There’s a lot of myself in my protagonist, so there were moments of revelation and insight.


Q. How did you come up with your title?

It was a working title that stuck, then I built the series around it: Finding Esta, Finding Luna, Finding William – all part of The Supes Series. Nothing hugely imaginative I’m afraid.


Q. Tell me about your writing process. Do you have a routine?

I wrote Finding Esta all wrong. Like I say, it began as a short story, then just grew into a three book series. No planning, just words spilling out. It meant that editing was a hellish process of unpicking and repining the words to some kind of structure. I decided I’d try my hand at outlining Finding Luna before writing anything, and although the outline is brief and flimsy, it allows me a little more structure and a little less chaos.


Q. What projects are you currently working on?

Finding Luna is in first draft stage, so I’m hoping to finish that this year. I’m also getting Finding Esta into print.


Q. Can you give some tips for other Indie Authors regarding the writing and self-publishing process?

We market ourselves and our creations to the masses, we publish our books for all to see without any guarantees of success, we write and edit and format, we negotiate with cover designers and other service providers, and we deal with all this while facing potential criticism from reviewers and worst of all – no sales after all our investment.

I need to rant and let off steam about this subject, so I developed the Indie Soap Box Files Facebook Group for others’ to do the same. I’d like to invite indie authors to pass on their own rants (in the form of guest posts) to me, and I’ll post them on my blog, and promote them at the group for discussion, and to share with other indies.


Q. If you could go back and change anything in your book process or the self-publishing process would you? What would it be?

The basics –get a great cover, edit, edit, edit, and learn as much as you can about the craft. Read when you’re not writing, and read about writing. Mostly, write!

Oh, don’t use Scrivener. Well, do because it’s a great writing resource and helps you compile and format for epub and mobi once you’re finished, but be careful. I had an enormous nightmare with Scrivener swapping and/or erasing chapters. Twice! I think I’m allergic to it, or something.

I would also stress how important it is to leave your MS to rest for a month AFTER the final edit. I didn’t give mine enough time, so error-blindness reared its ugly head, and meant I had to go back to make improvements after publication. I am a perfectionist though, so I’ll probably do this constantly. :)


Q. How can your readers get in touch with you?

Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/findingesta
Twitter: https://twitter.com/shahw1
Website: http://shahwharton.com/
GoodReads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6558975.Shah_Wharton
Google+: https://plus.google.com/105777291855668712953#105777291855668712953/posts
Email: shahwharton@gmail.com


Q. Where can they get your book?

Smashwords: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/277455

Amazon (KINDLE): http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00APXGKFQ?ie=UTF8&assoc_ss_swlb=1&keywords=finding%20esta&qid=1355901306&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

Barnes & Noble (NOOK): http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/finding-esta-shah-wharton/1114295426?ean=2940016363394&isbn=2940016363394

KOBO (ePUB): http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Finding-Esta-The-Supes-Series/book-gVVx9_EVr0qYOuyKCaK9LQ/page1.html

iBOOKS (Apple): https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/id599434747

Print coming soon.

2 comments: